To serve 4,
Stir fried rice vermicelli
400g dried rice vermicelli
splash of soy sauce
Stir fried beef with spring onion sauce
500g rump steak or silverside
1 level tsp of bicarb mix with a few drops of water (optional to tenderise meat if required)
2 - 3 tbsp of brandy (you can use chinese wine but I find brandy gives a very nice flavour)
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 - 3 tsp of soy sauce
ground black pepper
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
1 thumb size ginger
3 garlic cloves
4 - 5 stalks of spring onion
1 - 2 tbsp of corn flour mix with a little water
some boiling water
1. Soak rice noodles in tap hot water till softened. Test some if chewy it is not ready.
2. Slice onion.
3. Slice beef into very thin slices.
4. If using bicarb, mix into beef and leave for 30 minutes.
5. Then mix in the other marinate ingredients and leave to marinate for about 2o minutes
6. Grate or shred ginger and chopped garlic
7. Cut spring onion into 3 cm long
8. Fry onion in few tbsp of oil till slightly brown, add rice noodles and stir till hot add enough light soy sauce and continue stir frying for another 5 minutes. Do use a non stick pan, rice noodles will stick very easily. Take noodles out, cover and keep warm.
9. In a clean pan/wok, add 2 – 3 tbsp of oil, add ginger and garlic stir fry till fragrant. Turn heat right up add beef and stir fry till almost cooked through but still a little pink, add splosh of boiling water (about ¾ - 1 cup) to make a sauce. Taste to see if you need more soy or oyster sauce. Add ground pepper to taste. Thicken the sauce with slackened cornflour then lastly add spring onion.
10. Spoon meat and sauce over rice noodles.