Slide show (click to view)
1 x 23 cm tube tin (no non stick and do not grease, very important)
A. Batter mix
5 large egg yolks
70g of sugar
100 ml sunflower oil or other odourless light cooking oil
180g of S R flour
½ tsp of baking powder
180 ml of fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1 ½ oranges)
Zest of 1 orange
5 large egg whites
100 g of sugar
- Add sugar to egg yolks and beat till creamy. Add rest of the ingredient in and mix till smooth. Leave aside and clean the whisk (make sure it is not greasy)
- Beat egg whites till quite frothy, add sugar in bit at a time and whisky till very thick like meringue. Remove whisk.
- Now you mix with a spatula or large metal spoon. Add few tbsp of the meringue and mix into the batter mix to loosen the mix. Pour this over the meringue and quickly mix both together. Pour into tube pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes at about 165 – 170deg fan oven (very important NO opening of the oven during baking or testing to make sure it is cooked. If you do the cake will collapse to a pancake very quickly, you have to trust the cake is cooked before deciding to open the oven door. This cake should be cooked in 50 minutes, if you see the top is still very wet, leave for few more minutes)
- Take the cake out very quickly and tipped it upside down to cool. Do have some ventilation under the cake.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Turn over upright, scrape to loosen the side and the inside tube with a long and thin knife. Lift up the cake by the tube, scrape and loosen the base. Tipped the cake over on a plate. Ready to enjoy. (this cake is normally eaten plain. If you like you can drizzle some orange flavour glace icing all over the cake)