Slide show (slick to view)
200g dried shrimps
8 shallots (about 200g)
4 -5 garlic
3 mild red chillies (I use Tesco chillies)
4 - 6 mild dried chillies (I use thai dried chillies)
1 thumb size galangal
1 tbsp shrimp paste
Few tbsp of cooking oil
2 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp of tamarind juice (ready to use or from tamarind pulp)
- Peel shallots, garlic and galangal. Roughly chopped
- Remove tough outside layer of lemon grass, topped and tailed. Then slice very fine crosswise.
- Remove stalk and seeds from dried chillies, soak in warm water. After soaking cut into chunks.
- Remove stalk and seeds from fresh chillies, cut into chunks.
- Mix all ingredients except sugar and tamarind in a food processor till smooth.
- Heat oil in pan, fry the paste with sugar and tamarind juice (to taste). Cook at medium low heat for about 15 -20 minutes till fragrant. Leave to cool.
a. Use this sambal for Sticky Rice Roll in banana leaf - Pulut Udang Panggang (recipe)
b. This sambal is also great just with rice.
c. Use this to stir fry snake beans or water spinach (kangkong) etc.