This is a Malay caramel cake very popular in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. Commonly called honeycomb cake. In Malay it is called Kuih Sarang Semut translated as ant's nest cake. The cake is full of tunnels or holes and is quite chewy.
This cake is quite simple to make once you got the syrup sorted. The ingredients and baking method are quite different to a typical western cake. Burnt sugar syrup and condensed milk are the typical ingredients.
For the recipe: (make a 9" cake)
250 ml of water
250g plain flour
160 - 180g condensed milk
6 large eggs (beaten)
1-1/2 tsp bicarb. or baking soda
- Tin size: 9" or 23- 24 cm round tin. If you use a spring form or loose bottom tin, line the whole tin with paper, see slide show. Don't just line the bottom the mixture will leak. If you use a cake tin without a loose bottom you can line just the bottom with paper.
- In a small saucepan, add in sugar and heat at medium heat till the sugar begin to melt. Stir once or twice with one single chopstick (don't use wooden spoon, too much area for the sugar to cool and crystallise), once the melted sugar has turned golden yellow, turn the heat to right low and continue heating till the sugar turns golden brown like dark tea, see slide show. Heat off and let it cool for 30 seconds. Then add one tbsp of water at a time, stand back the hot sugar will spit. Continue adding water one tbsp at a time till it stops sizzle, then pour in the rest of water. Turn heat on for about 1 minute, stir and scrape the side to release any unmelted sugar. Heat off and add the butter stir till melted.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the plain flour, pour in about 1/2 the liquid and mix with a electric beater till smooth, continue adding the liquid till all mix in. Let the mixture stand for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add in the egg, condensed milk and sieve in the bicarb, mix till all combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin. Leave it to stand in the cold oven for about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Turn the oven to 150 deg C and bake the cake from cold for 1 hour or till it is cooked by sticking a cocktail stick in the centre and it comes out clean.