Friday, 12 September 2008

The Chinese 100

I found this list from Lizzie which looked interesting and created by appetideforchina. Thanks guys!. I had a bit a fun going through the list and found I had most of the listed foods (except a few I don’t think should be listed as Chinese). I got several recipes already posted on the blog. Think my score is 90.

  1. Almond milk - authentic Chinese almond milk, just bought a can last week
  2. Ants Climbing a Tree (poetic, not literal, name) – recipe on my blog
  3. Asian pear – got some in my fridge right now
  4. Baby bok choy – some in my fridge too
  5. Baijiu – got some at home
  6. Beef brisketthat is not a dish, it a cut of meat
  7. Beggar's Chicken – had some a long time ago, got the recipe will make it sometime
  8. Bingtang hulu – syrup coated water chestnuts on a skewer? heard of but not had. Don’t think I like it
  9. Bitter melon – had it many many times
  10. Bubble tea – had plenty of that in HK. Got the bubble pearls at home. Try it with red bean, posted on my blog
  11. Buddha's Delight – make it quite often here is a picture
  12. Cantonese roast duck – one of my favourite
  13. Century egg, or thousand-year egg – had numerous in the far east, not in UK too expensive
  14. Cha siu (Cantonese roast pork) – bought and homemade, recipe posted on the blog
  15. Char kway teow – make this regularly, see picture
  16. Chicken feet – had it in dim sum restaurant, I also make various chicken feet dishes myself
  17. Chinese sausage – had lots in the far east, don’t like those sold in UK
  18. Chow mein – my regular noodle stir fry
  19. Chrysanthemum tea – have this quite regular
  20. Claypot rice – love it especially spare ribs with salted fish claypot rice.
  21. Congee – make this quite regular when the weather is getting cold
  22. Conpoy (dried scallops) – love it, but don’t have any at the moment, need to stock up when I go to the far east
  23. Crab Rangoon – that’s not authentic Chinese, it’s American fusion
  24. Dan Dan noodlesrecipe on my blog
  25. Dragonfruit – don’t like the white flesh, red flesh is lovely
  26. Dragon's Beard candy – tried it but don’t fancy it too much
  27. Dried cuttlefish – love it with steamed chicken or congee
  28. Drunken chicken – love it, might make some soon
  29. Dry-fried green beans - authentic Sichuan recipe is lovely
  30. Egg drop soup – yes something like sweet corn soup
  31. Egg rolls – love all spring rolls of all sorts
  32. Egg tart, Cantonese or Macanese – love both
  33. Fresh bamboo shoots – nice especially fresh not brined or pickled
  34. Fortune cookies – had them and don’t like. A waste IMO, nobody eats them other than getting a silly strip of paper from it
  35. Fried milk – made it long time ago
  36. Fried rice – had this all the time
  37. Gai lan (Chinese broccoli) – love it but quite expensive in UK
  38. General Tso's Chicken – have the recipe, but not cook it yet
  39. Gobi Manchurianthat is not really Chinese, it’s manchurian
  40. Goji berries (Chinese wolfberries) – love it and got lots at home
  41. Grass jelly – love it with chendol (green noodles) and coconut milk, Malaysian dessert
  42. Hainan chicken rice – love it
  43. Hand-pulled noodles – love it
  44. Har gau (steamed shrimp dumplings in translucent wrappers) – made it not too long ago, see my blog
  45. Haw flakes – love it when I was a kid
  46. Hibiscus tea – guess you are talking about Jamaican flower, if it is I won’t classify this as Chinese, had it once or twice, ok
  47. Hong Kong-style Milk Tea – si mut naai cha? Yes love it
  48. Hot and sour soup posted on my blog
  49. Hot Coca-Cola with Ginger – nice when having a cold
  50. Hot Pot – which type? But I love it all
  51. Iron Goddess tea (Tieguanyin) – one of my favourite Chinese tea
  52. Jellyfish – love it
  53. Kosher Chinese food what has Chinese food got to do with kosher?
  54. Kung Pao Chicken – love it
  55. Lamb skewers (yangrou chua'r) – not had the real thing in China, but normal lamb skewer yes.
  56. Lion's Head meatballs – love it
  57. Lomo Saltado ?? That’s not chinese
  58. Longan fruit – love it
  59. Lychee – love it too
  60. Macaroni in soup with Spam – nice for a quick breakfast
  61. Malatang – love it especially malatang steamboat
  62. Mantou, especially if fried and dipped in sweetened condensed milk
  63. Mapo Tofurecipe on my blog
  64. Mock meat – Chinese seitan is lovely braised with a nice sauce
  65. Mooncake (bonus points for the snow-skin variety) – going to make some this weekend
  66. Nor mai gai (chicken and sticky rice in lotus leaf) – love this too
  67. Pan-fried jiaozi – love it
  68. Peking duck – my top list of favourite dish
  69. Pineapple bun - recipe on my blog
  70. Prawn crackers – nice if made with real prawn not msg
  71. Pu'er tea – used to drink it everyday
  72. Rambutan – love it
  73. Red bean in dessert form – several posted on my blog
  74. Red bayberry yangmei, chinese strawberry, had some in HK and China, very nice
  75. Red cooked pork – recipe on my blog
  76. Roast pigeon – very nice especially those in HK
  77. Rose tea
  78. Roujiamo – had similar
  79. Scallion pancake – it’s been a while since I last made this
  80. Shaved ice dessert – love it especially Malaysian style shave ice with all the bits and evaporated milk pour on top, made a red bean shave it dessert on my blog
  81. Sesame chicken - nice
  82. Sichuan pepper in any dish – kung po chicken, mala chicken, Sichuan boiled beef etc…..
  83. Sichuan preserved vegetable (zhacai) – nice
  84. Silken tofu – love it, made some tofu myself, see blog
  85. Soy milk, freshly made – I like homemade
  86. Steamed egg custard – love it sweet or savoury
  87. Stinky tofu – come close to having it, still the smell puts me off it
  88. Sugar cane juice – nice if freshly pressed
  89. Sweet and sour pork, chicken, or shrimp love it
  90. Taro love it
  91. Tea eggs not had any for years
  92. Tea-smoked duck - nice
  93. Turnip cake (law bok gau) – it’s been a while since I last made some of this
  94. Twice-cooked pork - lovely
  95. Water chestnut cake (mati gau) – nice if fried
  96. Wonton noodle soupsee my blog
  97. Wood ear - love it, use it in various recipes on my blog
  98. Xiaolongbao (soup dumplings) – yum!!!!
  99. Yuanyang (half coffee, half tea, Hong Kong style) – quite like it
  100. Yunnan goat cheese probably the only one I don't know which is chinese


  1. I look forward to seeing the post for the mooncakes! Do you do anything special for Mid Autumn Festival?

  2. Nothing special. What about you? Are you going home to mum & dad and cooking a feast?

  3. Nope, the best I can manage is a mooncake from Chinatown. My mum had relatives visiting who brought her dried scallops from HK though so I'm going to invite myself round for dinner!

  4. I did do much on last Sunday either. Did made a few mini mooncakes see link below. It's was my first time, not very good so I did not post it.

    Re dried scallops, mm... yum, if I were you I would pinch some from you mum. Fantastic for congee


Thank you for reading and leaving your comments or suggestions.
Spam or link to suggested sales will be removed.