Dan Dan Mian (noodles) is a popular
This is a simple stir-in noodles mix with a sauce made with sesame paste, preserved salted vegetable, a little pork (some recipes do not use pork). You can make everything in advance and mix together. Nice serves cold/warm too.
Ingredients (per person)
80 g dry
2 - 3 tbsp of cooked pork mince, cooked with garlic and some soy. (pork is optional, you don't need pork if you don't want to)
1 tbsp Chinese salted preserved vegetable, chopped. Traditional recipe use a preserved vegetable called ‘chuan dung chai - 川冬菜’ but I don’t think this is available in
1 – 2 tsp Chilli oil
1 tbsp Soy sauce (qty depends on your taste)
½ tbsp Sesame paste (Chinese or tahini)
1 tsp Sesame oil
½ tsp Chinese black vinegar2 - 3 tbsp homemade pork/chicken stock (warmed) or hot water
Pinch of Ground Szechuan pepper (roast a few
¼ - 1/2 tsp Garlic, mashed or grated
1 tbsp Chopped spring onion
1 tbsp Roasted peanut ( blitz in food processor or pound with a pestle and mortar)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of five spice
- Mix sauce ingredients together.
- Mix salt and five spice with the ground roasted peanuts.
- Cook noodles as per instruction.
- Mix cooked noodles with sauce.
- Top with some hot stock if you like the noodles to be wet than dry.
- Sprinkle on spring onion and spiced ground peanuts.