Simple lunch today, tomato and egg fried rice. Tomato and egg are such good combination, universal favourite. I am sure there is at least one dish made with tomato and egg in every country. Just Chinese dishes I can count at least half a dozen classics with just two simple ingredients like:
Stir fried egg and tomato 西紅柿炒雞蛋/ 番茄炒蛋
Omelette crepe and tomato soup 番茄煎蛋湯/ 西紅柿煎蛋湯
Tomato and egg geda soup 西紅柿雞蛋疙瘩湯
Tomato and egg drop soup 番茄蛋花湯/ 西紅柿蛋花湯
Steamed tomato and egg custard 番茄蒸蛋/ 西紅柿蒸蛋
Tomato and egg omelette (Chinese style) 番茄煎蛋/ 西紅柿煎蛋
Tomato and egg jiaozi dumpling 西紅柿蛋餃子/ 蕃茄蛋餃子
Tomato and egg fried rice 西紅柿蛋炒飯/ 蕃茄蛋炒飯
Tomato and egg fried rice is very simple. There are two versions, one with tomato ketchup and this recipe is just with fresh tomato. Tomato is best using red but very firm tomato, soft tomato gives a mushy and unappealing fried rice. I always use on-the-vine tomatoes more meaty, colourful and flavourful. Ensure the rice is quite dry. Soft mushy rice or wet rice never made good fried rice. Loosen the rice before cooking. Keep the heat as high as possible to avoid rice sticking or rice stewing with the tomato. Heat wok with an even layer of oil till smoking (but not smelling burning) will ensure non stick wok fried rice.
Ingredients: this recipe is enough for two or 1 very very hungry person
about 2.5 cups of cooked rice, loosen (best use overnight rice)
2 - 3 firm and red tomato, cut into small pieces
1 - 2 clove garlic, chopped
some chopped spring onion
dash of soy sauce
pinch of ground pepper
some cooking oil
dash of sesame oil
- Add a little soy sauce to egg, beat.
- Heat some oil and swirl around the wok or pan. Wait till smoking, pour the egg spread it out thin, wait for few seconds till set and lightly brown on the bottom then keep stirring to break up the egg. Fry egg till surface is a bit brown, this gives lots of flavour. Remove.
- Add a bit more oil and garlic. Stir till fragrant. Add rice stir till heated through. Add dash of light soy and pinch of ground pepper.
- Stir in scrambled egg and tomato pieces. Stir for a short while till heated through.
- Add chopped spring onion and dash of sesame oil.
- Sprinkle a little chopped spring onion as garnish.
Simple and delicious. I'd be interested to see the tomato and egg jaozi dumplings; I've not come across them before.ReplyDelete