This is a common type of every day home cooking without a classic name. Nothing exotic just yummy good food.
For the recipe: (serve 2 -3)
Ingredients: (all ingredients are approx., use more or less to your taste)
1 whole fish (like trout, sea bass or sea bream. You can also use fish fillet or fish steaks, allow for 2 - 3 servings)
2 - 3 large squares of Chinese tofu* (about 300 - 400g)
1 medium onion, sliced
2 large clove garlic, chopped
1 thumb size ginger, sliced
2 - 3 large red chillies, sliced
about 3 tbsp of yellow bean sauce/paste
about 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 - 2 tbsp chinese black vinegar
3 - 4 tbsp of tomato ketchup
1 - 2 tsp of sugar
dash of sesame oil
1 heap tsp of cornflour mix with some water
handful of chopped spring onion + 1/2 the amount of chopped coriander
- Fried the tofu with some oil till lightly brown all sides, leave to cool and cut into bite size.
- Fried the fish till brown (not necesarily cooked through), take out and leave aside.
- In the same pan with a bit a oil, fry the garlic, ginger, onion and half the chillies till softened and fragrant.
- Add in the yellow bean sauce, stir for about 1 minute. Add in 1 cup of water, add in oyster sauce, vinegar and ketchup. Taste to see if you like to add a bit of sugar to balance the taste. Bring the sauce to boil.
- Add in the fish and tofu pieces, cover and braised till the tofu and fish for about 10 - 12 minutes till bubbly hot. Drizzle in cornflour water and stir gently to thicken, add sesame oil. Add in 3/4 of the spring onion and coriander, stir and heat off. Ready to dish. Sprinkle on remaining chillies and herb on top.
* If you buy pre-fried tofu that will save you some time. Just cut up into small pieces.
Can also use puffy tofu if you like.
If you don't have or don't like tofu, you can use a 2 - 3 sweet pepper, sliced and any colour you like.