This morning I suddenly have a craving for some Pop Pan spring onion crackers, I was too lazy to go down to the shop. I thought of making something similar. I had a tub of chicken stock jelly with fat collected from roasting a chicken. Thought it might be a good idea to use that to flavour these crackers. No sure how this concoction would turn up I just mixed the dough, rolled it out and baked it. To my pleasant surprise the crackers are rather nice. So here is to share with you the recipe. I am still munching some as I write this.
200g self raising flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 tsp chicken stock powder (if chicken stock jelly is salted use less chicken powder)
2 tsp sugar
pinch of ground pepper
40g chicken fat (chilled)
about 1/2 cup loosely packed and finely chopped spring onion (scallion)
about 2 tbsp chicken stock jelly
about 3 tbsp sesame seeds
more flour for dusting and rolling
a little water
- Dry roast the sesame seeds with a dry frying pan till light golden brown. Leave aside to cool.
- Mix plain flour, baking powder, chicken stock powder and ground pepper together.
- Rub chicken fat and butter into the dry ingredients evenly.
- Mix in chopped spring onion. Leave for a little while to let the dry ingredient to absorb the moisture from the spring onion.
- Then add chicken stock jelly a little at a time into the mixture till crumbs bind together forming a dough. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust working areas with flour. Roll the dough to a square or rectangle to about 4 cm thick.
- Brush the dough surface very very lightly with water. Must not be too wet.
- Then sprinkle the surface generously with sesame seeds. Press the seeds down with fingers avoiding sesame seeds sticking back on fingers.
- Then roll and press dough with rolling pin so sesame seeds are ingrained into the dough and dough becomes quite thin about 2 - 2.5mm thick.
- Cut into any shape and size you like. I cut it into 3 x 7cm strips.
- Carefully lift up pastry and place on baking sheet (pan).
- Bake at preheated oven (200 deg C fan oven) for about 12 minutes or till golden brown and crisp.
- Cool and store in container or stuff your face with them :-)