Drunken chicken wings are really nice with cold beer or as a nice appetiser/starter. The chicken wings are full of flavour after the long marination. Can use other parts of chicken like whole wing, wing drumlets, drumsticks or use half /whole chicken. If using bigger piece of chicken or half/whole chicken poaching time is longer and needs more wine marinade.
Very easy recipe.
A. Poaching the chicken
15 - 18 chicken wings (middle section)
2 - 3 slices of ginger
1 stalk of spring onion (cut into 5 -6 cm long)
1 tbsp shaoshing wine
1 heap tsp salt
B. Wine marinade
1 cup (250ml) shaoshing wine*
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 walnut size rock sugar (crushed) or 1 heap tbsp sugar (rock sugar is better if you have some)
1 chunk of ginger, cut into 6 - 8 slices.
1 tbsp fragrant toasted sesame oil
* For the shaoshing wine do use one which has a nice flavour. See this picture below, the square bottle is made in Taiwan and I find it tastes like medicine. The blue label bottle is Shaoshing Hua Diao Wine 紹興花雕酒 is what I like to use, it is available in many large Chinese supermarket like Lung Fung (London) or Wing Yip.
- Poach the chicken wings. Put ingredients A in a saucepan, cover with boiling water. Bring the liquid to the boil, let this boils briskly for about 1 minute. Turn the heat off. Cover and let the remaining heat of the water to finish cooking the chicken wings, poach for 5 minutes. Drain and bin ginger slices and spring onion.
- Plunge the wings into icy cold water, let the wings cool down very quickly. Drain again. Shake off excess water.
- Put the wine marinade ingredients in a zippy or freezer bag, add in the wings and mix. Put the bag in a container with the sealed side on top to prevent leaking. Leave this in the fridge for 1 - 2 days, turning 2 - 3 times a day. Marinate in a plastic bag needs less wine marinade and easy to turnover the wings.
- Take the wings out, serve cold or at room temperature.