Here is another Sichuan style salad with spinach and glass noodles, eaten warm or cold.
Simple and refreshing vegetarian. Moulding with a cup makes a nice presentation as a starter.
This recipe is enough for 2.
40 -45g glass noodles or bean thread or fun see
300g spinach (better use young spinach with stalks), very cheap from Asian or Chinese supermarket
1 tbsp grated ginger
1.5 tbsp sesame oil
1.5 tbsp Chinkiang black rice vinegar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
few drops of chilli oil
0.5 tsp chicken or vegetable stock granules or powder (optional)
3 tbsp water
a little grated ginger
a little chopped chilli
- Soak glass noodles then blanch in boiling water briefly till softened. Drain and cut with scissors into shorter length.
- Blanch spinach till wilted. Drain and lightly squeeze to release water. Cut into shorter length if necessary.
- Mix spinach and noodles with ginger and sesame oil.
- Stack all in one bowl or individual bowl. For a nicer presentation, mould with a cup first. I used a yogurt cup as mould.
- Pour the dressing on and sprinkle with a bit more ginger and chopped chilli.7