Just made a batch of tofu at the weekend as per this recipe and plenty of sambla tumis so the obvious choice is to make some tauhu goreng. Simple and tasty.
2 - 3 large blocks of Chinese tofu
about 2 tbsp of cornflour
pinch of salt
1 inch thick oil in a wok (about 1/2 cup)
few tbsp of sambal tumis
handful or shredded cucumber, don't use the soft core (about 5 - 6cm long of cucumber)
handful of bean sprouts
1 stick of spring onion
1/2 to 1 red chilli
small handful of roasted peanuts
couple of wedges of lime or limau kasturi
- Crushed or ground the roasted peanuts
- Shred the cucumber, spring onion and chilli
- Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water very briefly, drain and leave to cool. You can leave the blanching and leave the bean sprouts raw if you like.
- Heat oil till very hot. Pat dry the tofu piece, rub with salt and coat lightly with cornflour. Fry the tofu till crispy and brown both sides. Take them out and cut into bite size.
- Put the tofu pieces on a plate, spread with as much sambal tumis as you like
- Pile on the shredded vegetables, sprinkle with peanuts. Squeeze of lime and ready to eat.
If you can find some jicama or yam bean this will very nice too finely shredded.