One of my store cupboard essential is this instant tofu pack. It is very handy when I need silken tofu quickly. Great for steaming. This tofu is very soft not suitable for frying.
One of my favourite use of this tofu is steamed savoury tofu with prawn or minced beef.
Once steamed the tofu texture is very smooth and silky like custard or egg tofu you find in a tube from Chinese supermarket. For this recipe,
1 packet of instant tofu
handful of raw shelled prawn
about 1 tbsp of light soy
about 2 tsp of sesame oil
1/2 tsp of cornflour
pinch of pepper
pinch of sugar
about 1 tbsp of chopped ginger
about 1 stalk of spring onion
a bit more sesame oil and soy sauce
- Follow the packet instruction boil the soya milk and add the coagulant, pour this straight into a deep dish, cover and leave to set and cool.
- Marinate the prawn.
- Set the steamer on, steam the tofu only for about 6 - 8 minutes till the tofu is hot, use a piece of kitchen towel to absorb any moisture on top of tofu so the sauce is not too watery. Discard paper.
- Spread the prawn on top and steam for about 4 - 5 minutes till prawn is cooked or turned milky and pink.
- Spread on ginger and spring onion. Drizzle with a bit more sesame oil and light soy on top if you like. Ready to eat
* You can sub prawn with minced lean beef.