Chinese: 鹹煎餅 (Hum Jin Bien)
This Cantonese fried bread is one of my favourite chinese bread. This doughnut is a pinwheel bread spread with a salty spicy mix. It's is spicy, salty and chewy.
This recipe make about 13 - 14 pieces
For the dough
400g white bread flour
1 tsp of easy blend yeast
300 - 315 ml of water
1 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of sugar
For the spicy spread
2 squares of red fermented tofu (南乳) - about 1 tbsp
2-1/2 tsp of salt
3 tsp of five spice water
2 tsp of water
2 cups of cooking oil
1. Mix the dough ingredient together and knead for about 10 minutes (I use bread machine)
2. Leave the dough to rise till double in size. Punch down the dough.
3. Spead working area with dusting of flour and roll the dough into 13" x 10" square, about 8 - 10 mm thick.
4. Mash the fermented tofu and mix the spread ingredients
5. Spread the mix evenly on the dough using a spatula. (see picture)
6. Roll the dough up like a Swiss roll.
7. Cut the rolled dough into 13 - 14 pieces.
8. Coat each piece of dough with flour and press it down flat to about 5 - 8 mm thick. (see picture)
9. Cover and leave to rise for about 20 minutes.
10. Heat 2 cups of oil in a large pan or wok till quite hot.
11. Scope each dough up with a spatula and lower gently into the hot oil. Fry for 1 minute, turn over and continue frying and flipping till both sides are golden brown.