Chinese: 豆沙鍋餅 (do sa war bin)
This stuffed bean paste pancake is typical of Shanghainese snack or dim sum. Very easy to make and nice to go with a cup of tea.
Recipe - Serve about 4
For the pancake:
110g flour (about 1 cup)
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of oil
1 tsp of oil for greasing the pan
about 250g of red bean paste 豆沙 (homemade as recipe or in a tin from supermarket)
2 tbsp of flour paste (mix about 1 - 2 tsp water with about 2 tsp plain flour to make a paste or can use some of the leftover pancake batter)
6 - 8 tbsp of cooking oil
Method: (see slide show)
- Mix the pancake batter ingredients together.
- Grease a 30cm frying pan lightly with oil and make about 4 -5 pieces of 20 - 21 cm round thin pancakes/crepe. Only fry the pancake on one side, when the top is dry it is ready to take out.
- Leave the pancakes to cool slightly.
- Spread about 40 - 60g of bean paste (about 3 - 4 tbsp) in the centre of the pancake, evenly to a rectangular shape. (You can stuff as much bean paste as you like)
- Spread the flour paste around the edges, and fold the pancake to a rectangular parcel.
- In a frying pan, add about 6 - 8 tbsp of oil and fry the pancakes maybe 2 at a time till crispy and brown on both side.