Marmite chicken


MARMITE, love it or hate it?

Apparently marmite chicken is very popular in Malaysia but I have never heard of it. Pinkmacaroon on the BBC food message board has directed me to this weird mix of marmite and chicken some time ago. I was intrigued. I didn't like the recipes I found on the web. So I concote this and it was lovely. Will definitely have it again.


Ingredients:

500g boned chicken thigh or breast, cut into small chunks

1 tsp of soy sauce

1 tbsp brandy or cooking wine

Pinch of pepper

1 tsp of sesame oil

3 – 4 tbsp of cornflour

1/3 cup of oil

4 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 – 2 tsp of grated ginger

1 ½ tbsp of marmite

1 tsp dark soy sauce

1 ½ - 2 tbsp honey

2 tbsp brandy or cooking wine

1 – 2 red chillies, cut into fine strips

3 – 4 lime leaves

Juice of 1/2 lime

2 – 3 tbsp chopped coriander

2 tbsp of shredded thai sweet basil

Extra lime wedges


Method:

1. Mix the chicken with soy, brandy, pepper and sesame oil. Leave for a while to marinate.

2. Heat oil in wok or a large pan

3. Add cornflour to chicken so the pieces are lightly coated.

4. Fry chicken pieces in two batches till light brown and quite crispy. Leave aside and fry the rest of the chicken.

5. Remove most of the cooking oil and leave about 2 tbsp.

6. Add chopped garlic and ginger and fry till fragrant, turn heat down to low and add marmite, honey and brandy. If the heat is too high the marmite will get burn and turn bitter. Stir for about a minute. Add lime leaves and chillies. Add chicken pieces and stir till chicken is well coated with the sauce and the sauce is thickened. Add lime juice, coriander and sweet basil. Ready. If you like it sharp, have extra wedges of lime on the plate. (I find more lime juice is very refreshing.)


For any Marmite lovers out there here are more marmite recipes from Gary Rhodes.

Comments

  1. Hiya Sunflower: I'm making this today. I forgot to buy lime leaves but I do have kaffir leaves in brine. Hopefully they'll do the trick! I look forward to the taste! Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisa, hope you like it. Kaffir lime in brine is ok, if not you can just use a little lime zest. It's not an authentic recipe I just put this together the way I like it. Pxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sunflower, I don't know why the comment I left you yesterday did not show. Your marmite chicken is ery special. I am the only one who like marmite at home but should not stop me from trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange. The full msg did not show. I have passed the Brilliante Weblog Award to you. Please check in my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet, thanks. Looks good but what you sent didn't work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and leaving your comments or suggestions.
Spam or link to suggested sales will be removed.