To welcome me back I presented you with a sweet treat. It's a pandan and coconut pound cake with butter frosting. This recipe is something I made up with ingredients I thought nice together.
50ml pandan juice (extracted from 10 - 12 pandan leaves + 2-3 tbsp water)
4 medium size eggs
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
200g softened butter
150 - 180g sugar (I used 150g because the frosting is sweet enough)
75g coconut powder
100g desiccated coconut
- Rinse the pandan leaves and cut into small pieces then blitz in a mini blender or food processor with some water till pulverised. Squeeze out as much juice as you can. You will get around 50ml. Sieve and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 160deg C fan assisted oven or 170 deg C non fan assisted.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix plain flour, coconut powder and baking powder together. Sieve.
- Add one egg at a time blend till combined, add a little of the flour mix in between. When all eggs are added pour in the pandan juice. Mix then add remaining flour and desiccated coconut.
- Pour into a lined or greased 2 lb loaf tin.
- Bake for around 60 - 70 min till cooked. Test with skewer for doneness.
- Leave to cool
200g softened butter
200g icing sugar (powder sugar), sifted
75g coconut powder, sifted
handful of dried shredded coconut or desiccated coconut for topping.
- Mix the icing sugar, coconut powder and icing by hand first with a spoon till no powder left. Do not blend with electric whisk without mixing the powder into the butter or you will get powder flying all over your kitchen.
- Whisk till frosting is light and creamy.
- This frosting has a lot less icing sugar than normal frosting. I don't like too sweet. The icing can be soft straight after blending. Check the consistency of the frosting. If too soft leave in the fridge for a while till thick enough to spread without being runny.
- Put the shredded coconut or desiccated on a oven tray, bake at medium heat for few minutes till light brown. Leave to cool.
To ice the cake
- Cut the cake into half.
- Spread the frosting on the bottom half and top of cake.
- Sandwich the cake together.
- Sprinkle on shredded or desiccated coconut.